Monday, December 14, 2009

Photo Matching Game {Tutorial}


This is one of those ideas that has been out there in blogland for a while. In fact, I bought the stuff to make this last year and never got around to it until this year. Such is life. ☻ I loved how this turned out, and thought it was a great way to preserve memories from the past year, and make something fun for my boys for Christmas.

I found the perfect size wood rectangles (2 1/2 inches by 31/2 inches) at Hobby Lobby. They came in packages of 4, and I used about 8 of them or so. ($8 total cost if you don't use a coupon) Michael's carries ones that are 2 inches by 3 inches.

I used acrylic paint to paint them. You don't need to paint the entire surface, since it will be covered. It is also helpful to sand the edges a bit- to prevent splinters- my edges were quite rough. Lightly sanding them solved the problem.

I just used some paper I had already. You will want to use the same paper for each one, since it is a matching game.

I printed wallet sized photos from this past year, of different memories, and of all the kids.  You need to print 2 of each photo. I think I have about 20 matches total.

Make a cute drawstring bag to store your game in.

When using modge podge, make sure to let it dry completely, so that the cards won't stick together when stacked.

AND speaking of cute matching games for kids, here is one I found at Oriental Trading. They had free shipping on any order after Thanksgiving, and this game was around $5. It has a ton of cute cookie cards, and it is very sturdy. You could make your own cookie matching game using chipboard. What child doesn't love cookies? ☻ I see many "pretend moments" at our house with this one.


The game doesn't come with a case or bag, so I just made another drawstring bag for it.
Aahhh...a few presents are ready to go under the tree. I think I only have 559 more to do....


Check out some fun projects at The Girl Creative

9 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

Your memory game turned out AWESOME! Love it! What a great gift idea.

Leslie said...

this is a fantastic idea...great gift for a little one

Mama Thompson said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I absolutely LOVE that matching game idea. My son is obsessed with pictures of his family (aunts, cousins, etc.) I think this would be so great for him. Looks like I'm headed to the craft store AGAIN today:). Thanks for the great idea!

Sandra said...

What a really cute idea! Going to see if I can pull it off.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. May it be filled with lots of loveable memories. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Cami said...

I'll have to do this matching game for sure! Very cute.

Christy said...

I made these last year for my niece, but I didn't do a border,and I really like that! I think I used almost the EXACT same paper on the back. So fun!

Unknown said...

I just LOVE these! Thanks for the great tutorial. I made a couple sets of these for holiday gifts, and they were a huge hit. I'm sharing them and a link to your tutorial on my blog... Hope to have you stop by!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/04/photo-memory-cards.html

D.I.M. Incorporated said...

This is so cute! Thanks for sharing!

Melinda said...

I might be missing it, but do you have directions on how to make the drawstring bag?