Thursday, January 14, 2010

Burlap ABC/Number Magnets {Tutorial}


I am loving all things ABC lately. ☻ Everyone needs some cute ABC magnets for their fridge/magnet board ..so I came up with these to use up some burlap scraps and magnets I bought over a year ago.☻ These are super easy, super cute, and super fun...{at least I think so}...and if you love burlap, ABC's and leaving love notes and messages... perhaps you will love these too. Here is the 411 on making a set for your magnet board so you can leave messages like this:


SUPPLIES FOR BURLAP ABC MAGNETS:
Foam or rubber stamps
Acrylic craft paint
Sponge brush to apply paint
Burlap (of course)
Button magnets
Scissors
Double sided Fusible Webbing (I used Steam-to-Seam)
Fabric scraps
Iron and a glue gun

If you are new to working with burlap, here is a great post with great tips on using the stuff. First apply paint to your stamp and stamp it on the burlap. After it is dry, cut it out in the desired shape. (I wasn't really exact about mine, but do what works for you.)
Using your double-sided fusible webbing, apply that to the back side of the burlap and fabric to the other side. Iron according to the directions on the fusible webbing.


Hot glue your button magnet on the back and when that is dry you are done. You could use a different type of magnet, but I liked the 3-D effect when it is on the magnet board, from using this type of magnet.
Now you are done! If you make a few of the more common letters, you can use these all year these all year to display messages to your family or loved ones. Here are a few Valentine's messages:



How about using these to spell "Happy Birthday" or "Have a Great Day" etc. etc. So many possiblities...and the best part is -they don't break. (I have lots of breakable magnets....)

I am loving these! I have an idea for something similar, so if it works I'll let you know. If you like this and make a set, please link to this post- as I would LOVE to see your version! {And let me know if you have questions too..} Happy Crafting!

13 comments:

Kari Sweeten said...

I will sooo be featuring this!! Thanks for feeding my burlap addiction!

Leslie said...

what a fun cute idea!!! love it

Jingle said...

So, those are pretty much just fabulous! Thanks for the amazing idea!

hellojoy said...

That is so cute! I really admire your creativity!

the thrifty ba said...

im in love with these! so fraking cute! thanks!

Jo-Anne said...

Super fun!

Cher said...

This is such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to have your permission to feature this on my blog someday in the near future!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Darling. I LOVES IT! Thanks for the tute.

Unknown said...

These are so cute! I will have to try them out, thanks for the great blog!

Barbara

http://www.StevieNicksClothing.com

Sheri said...

Okay, way too cute and even more simple! I've posted a link on childmade.com. Thanks for sharing! I really need to step away from the computer before my head pops with all these wonderful ideas!

Anonymous said...

I love these magnets and as a self professed magnet snob, that is really saying something! I am adding these to my "Friday Favorites" over at my blog. Come by Friday and Check it out!

Erika S. said...

Where can I find those exact letter stamps? I love the font!

mylittlegems said...

Hi Erika
I am not sure where you can find these stamps. I bought them years ago at a scrapbooking store. I'm sure you could find something similiar at a scrapbook store or by googling online. Good luck and I hope you find some! :)