Monday, December 22, 2008

Storytime: Christmas Stories for the Young and Old

I know we are running out of time here, (we are actually celebrating Christmas tomorrow-the 23rd- due to work schedules and no time off), but I thought I would squeeze in a few more Christmas posts. I have been meaning to post some of our favorite Christmas books- so here you go!

The Amazing Christmas Extravaganza by David Shannon This is probably one of my very favorite Christmas books. It has a great lesson to be taught-about greed- and that having "stuff" won't make you happy. It is a fun story for the entire family.
How can we let Christmas go by without reading The Best Christmas Pagaent Ever? Another book with a great message! My husband and I have read this together every year since we have been married- with the exception of this year- because he is never ever home-just work work. However, there still may be time to read some of it :)

Every family needs a version of The Night Before Christmas. I still remember the old version we had as kids, that my parents read to me. The above are two of my favorite versions with illustrations by Mary Engelbreit and Jan Brett.


There are a few picture books about The Nativity. This one uses scripture verse and fun illustrations- many pages with pictures and no words. (there is one illustration of a naked baby)
This is illustrated by Julie Vivas.


How Santa Lost His Job is another fun story for the entire family.

Crispin, the Pig Who Had it All, is another story that proves that kids don't need much to be happy. Instead of all the toys we buy them, all they need is a friend or sibling, and a box and a little imagination to be happy and have a world of fun. I think I enjoy this story as much as my three-year old does. It reminds us that it isn't about how much you have, but about what you do with what you do have :)
Happy Holidays! Have fun reading!











4 comments:

Young Family said...

I love Christmas books.

We watched The Best Christmas Pageant Ever just yesterday. It is such a fun story!

Unknown said...

ooh, we have all but one of those!! LOVE crispin :) i loved the best christmas pageant as a little girl :)

Susan Brady said...

We love Christmas Stories. We have a book that is atleast 30 years old. It has a story, scripture and Carol for the twenty four days before christmas. Some traditions are wonderful and needed for sanity.

Cami said...

Very fun. We have some of those. I am going to post our list of books this year pretty soon.