Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fabric Baby Blocks {tutorial}

Like the new look? I owe it all to Maggie. Her logo/link is there on the left. She does amazing work so if you want a new blog look, you really should check her out. :) More on that later.
There are a few kinks and things I need to fix still.
Want some free-chocolate? See link below if you want your own See's....just because- most everyone loves chocolate- and it is Springtime and Easter :)


About a month ago, I used up some charm pack squares to make some soft baby blocks. I always thought things sewed in cubes, looked too hard. :) Surprise- it isn't hard at all. My childen love these- and throw them around all the time-kind of like bean bags-but these stack up too.

SUPPLIES FOR SOFT BABY BLOCKS:

Charm pack squares or fabric scraps (squares that are 5 or 6 inches squared)
Interfacing-to put on the wrong side of the fabric- a square for each piece of fabric
Thread
Stuffing - I used washable polyfill, and in one I used old socks cut in small pieces



After ironing the interfacing to the wrong side of each square, sew the squares together, at 1/4 inch as shown above- right sides together.

Then start sewing the sides together to form a cube.




When you have to sew a corner, where 2 sides already meet, there is a little trick I discovered. You just have to fold the one side you aren't sewing out the way - like pretend it isn't there. :) I labeled this photo to show you:


Hope this makes sense. Once I figured this out, it was so easy. {sew easy....}

Leave one side open so that you can add your stuffing. You can handstitch this up, or very carefully use your machine.
Repeat for each block. These can be made pretty quickly. And then you can have loads of fun:





And of course let baby play with them. :)

If you make some of these, I would love to see them.
Thanks for reading! Happy Sewing and Creating!

post signature

10 comments:

Leslie said...

i have made these for several friends and family as gifts and they are always a hit. i even had one little one that used and loved them so much, he slept with them pressed to his forehead, that i had to keep replenishing his supply

Tasha said...

I just love these!! Would you mind hosting them on my blog?? (Giving the credit back to you of course) Let me know. raegirl25@yahoo.com. I definatly want to try these. Love them!!

The Activity Mom said...

Yours look awesome. Great fabrics!
I made a few sets of these for first Christmas gifts and they turned out great. I just looked back so I could link up a picture and realized I never posted it. =( I sewed them in a different order but the end result was the same. PS I can barely sew a straight line and they still turned out. So this is a great project for all levels of sewers. =)

ificould said...

Cute fabrics!! Love these so much I put a link on my blog: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/03/fabric-baby-blocks.html

If you want, grab a button saying you were featured: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/p/featured-sites.html

Thanks for a great tute!
Missy

Jingle said...

These are so cute!

apholden said...

Adorable! I am looking forward to trying these - look easy enough! :)

Cyndi loves to stitch said...

I made them from 2 pkgs of Moda's charm squares called "hello betty". I appliqued the alphabet, numbers 1-9 and a couple of other little things on them too. I made sure that the letters SOPHIA were each on a different block so she could spell her name. Sophia loves them! so much fun! cyndi

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [02 Apr 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Jaedyn said...

I'm excited about making these! Thanks for the tutorial!

You were featured on my Craft Tutorials Moms Will Love post here:

http://kindredspiritmommy.com/craft-tutorials-moms-will-love-linky/

Cami said...

Those are darling! I wish I had them without having to make them. :)