Tuesday, February 15, 2011

1/2 Bath Powder Room Make-over

We finally got around to finishing {almost} our 1/2 bath/powder room.  This was the standard builder's bathroom- nothing fancy, white walls. Basically functional, but very boring.
We bought the paint over 6 months ago and finally got it up on the walls in January.  The paint color is called Ocean Breeze from Sherwin Williams. (I'll have to find the paint can and double check but I think that was the name of it.)
Using things I already had, I did a little "beach" themed decorating. Since it is a really small bathroom, I'll show you wall by wall what I added. 

Wall 1: This is my favorite. I put photos on canvas from our recent a (and first) trip to the beach this past fall. I made these 11 by 14. I have ordered photos on canvas from about 4 different companies. So far, I am the most pleased with Costco. The wrap the photos using thick edges- probably 1 1/2 to 2 inches, and do not charge extra for it. You can also add effects to your photo at no extra cost. Right now they have a coupon for $10 off each canvas (limit 2) that you order. You can do the entire thing online, and pick it up at the store- so no shipping charges. They have pretty good prices too.

 Wall 2: This is one of those things I already had. I just changed the photos to my favorite family beach photos. I used scrapbook paper for the other frames.  This wall could probably use something else, but it is behind the door, so you don't see it much. I do plan to add a small hand towel rack to the wall by the counter.

 Wall 3: The curtain was made from fabric in my stash.  The little thing below the window is old- from forever ago Target find- it was black and we spray painted it white.

And the last wall...White Ruffle Towels are from Target- on clearance. My husband hates them. He thinks they are too "girly". So I told him, I'm adding ruffles to every towel in our house. ha ha ha....hey- I am the only female in this house. :)
The frame above- had forever- just added a coat of white spray paint to make it look fresher. The BEACH sign is from forever ago too- a Home Goods find.
STILL TO DO: Frame the mirror, and add hardware to the cabinets, new light fixture, and crown molding. I don't think I'll be doing any of that fancy ceiling stenciling you are seeing everywhere. Love it, but can't do a stencil...reminds me of when I stenciled my room in 9th grade. :)
So now, I have a little reminder of the beach in my house. :) OK so it is a beach bathroom. I still can't feel that ocean breeze, and sometimes it stinks and is covered in sticky kid fingerprints.
 At least, it is a more pleasant experience to clean this bathroom. :)

Hope you had a fun Valentine's Day! Thanks for reading! oxoxoxo
post signature

3 comments:

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

Love your beachy bathroom. I've been wanting to do ours beachy. I like the pale colors and using scrapbook paper in frames with photos.

ailinh said...

Wow! Looks great! You're so talented, seriously. Not everybody has a makeover skill like that.

Monica said...

I love the bathroom. I used to have a beach themed bathroom and it felt like a getaway.