Monday, May 2, 2011

Child's Art Supply Totebag Tutorial {for coloring books & crayons}

Before I post this tute, I just have to ask...is anyone reading this lately? Somebody please say something!! As in leave a comment....won't you please be a nice reader...please??? My stats tell me there are readers..but I don't know...{sigh} ☺☺☺
AND NOW...
Here is the tutorial many of you asked about here.
Tutorials take time and work and I want it to be successful and useful for you. So if you do not understand something or have a question please let me know. AND if you end up making this I would LOVE to see your creation-please send me a link or leave me a comment and let me know! I love seeing what you are creating too!
NOTE ADDED AFTER: I am pregnant. Half of my brain goes out the window when I am pregnant. I goofed a little on this tute. PLEASE READ the typing underneath the photos- that clarifies the instructions for cutting out the pieces. AND just a note to myself: don't write tutorials when pregnant because you lose 1/2 of your brain....:)



IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CUTTING FABRIC: The main pieces of the bag FOLD so they are 14 by 14 inches. IF you open up these pieces, you will be cutting a piece that is 14 by 28 inches!!!
THIS IS FOR THE OUTSIDE PIECE OF THE BAG AND THE LINING PIECE OF THE BAG. THE POCKET PIECE IS 14 by 9 inches, when open and not folded. Hope that makes sense.



THE 14 by 14 inch pieces are FOLDED IN HALF. Opened up flat they will measure 14 by 28 inches!!


The ironed folded lines help me to line eveything up. That is why I suggest ironing the fold on the bottom of the bag. 
From here you are going to flip the pocket up, so that it is now sewn onto the bag in the right place. The seam you just sewed, will not show from the outside of the bag. Now you will topstitch the bottom of the pocket- (sew on top of the pocket along the bottom edge.) Then you are ready to mark off and sew the individual pockets for the crayons.



Now you are ready to attach the handles.

TIP: I use an iron to put a crease in my fabric when I have to measure something like this. I folded the bag into thirds, and made a crease using my iron, at each third. I attached the handles at each third so that they were evenly spaced on the bag. When you are done with the handles, place this aside and pick up the lining /inside of the bag piece.









I'd love to see your project- please send me a link! I'd also love to know if you use this and it works for you, or if you have any questions! Thanks a bunch! Happy Sewing!
post signature

23 comments:

Wilson Family said...

I LOVE this coloring tote!!! What a great way to keep everything is 1 place. I just wish my daughter didnt eat crayons.

Emily said...

Hi there! I'm a long time reader, first time commenter! (we non-commenters are lame, aren't we? I'm trying to do better)
I love this tote, and i'm definitely going to have to make one for my boy! he needs a new church bag that will fit his drawing paper and coloring books.
I do love your blog! i have things bookmarked to try when my three boys let me have the time! (my two oldest would have a blast with that tic-tac-toe game)
Keep up the good work!

Tom and Amy said...

I love this idea, with sick kids home today I think I'll bust out the machine and give it a try.

Monica said...

I missed the part in the tutorial where you teach me to sew...the minor flaw for me. As always, the project is great, love the bags.

Elyssa said...

Thanks so much! I LOVE your blog! I check it all the time! This tutorial came at the perfect time! My son is turning 3 this month and it will make a fantastic gift! I've been looking for something like this for him to take to church with him! Thanks again!!!

Jen said...

Sharla, I always read your blog! You have such great ideas and tuts. Thanks so much!

Travis & Natalie Nelson said...

Yes,I'm still coming to your blog. I'm so happy you posted the tutorial for this page. I have been waiting for this.

raspberrymama said...

I love it! Next birthday party gift for sure!

Mason/Sam/Family said...

Thank you - I've been waiting for this tutorial ever since you showed the ones you made a few weeks back. Guess I am off to the fabric store to find the perfect fabric for these - one for each of my two boys. Thanks again . . . And keep 'em coming!

D.I.M. Incorporated said...

Hi, I'm a new follower to your blog and I love your ideas! This bag is adorable! It inspires me to get started on Christmas presents! Maybe I'll make one for each of my kids!

Unknown said...

YAY! Thank you for posting the tutorial!! I can't WAIT to try this as one of my first "real" sewing projects!!! :)

Tamara said...

I love this and plan on making one soon!!

Travis & Natalie Nelson said...

I'm new to sewing. I was just wondering when I cut the fabric do I cut it on the fold. When I cut my first 14 x 14 it didn't look right. If you could email me back it would be great. ntl.nelson@gmail.com

mylittlegems said...

Ladies- thanks for your sweet comments! Please note- if you make this- when I wrote it I had a pregnant brain- as in no brain, so please see the added notes to clarify a few things :) :) happy sewing

The Anderson Family said...

My daughter is learning to sew and this is a great project to help her with. Thanks for the awesome directions.

spottylover said...

Very cute! And, yes, I'm here reading ;-)

Mim said...

I came across your blog a few days ago (from another blog perhaps?) and just LOVED this bag. I made it too, and I am just a beginner sewer. I love that the lining is so neat and tidy. I have had lots of positive comments about it and would like to say thank you very much for posting the tutorial.

Miriam

Natalie said...

I just found your blog and I absolutely love all your tutorials. Thanks for doing them with such great pictures and instructions. I will definitely be making some of these things!

Sasha said...

Just came across your blog. Love this bag, great idea!
Sasha from: http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/TwistedGems

Anonymous said...

I'm gathering some inspiration before I start making my 2 year old a art supply/library book tote, so this tutorial was very helpful! thanks!!

Jessica @ A Humble Creation said...

Adorable! Now I know what to do with the plethora of cute kid prints in my stash. Thanks for taking the time to write the tutorial. I'm pinning it so I remember to make some!

topmom2000 said...

Yes...! Just found your blog and need new ideas for my sunbeams. I have been saving my TP rolls and was so happy to see the bazillion ideas you have for using them.THanks!!

Findtime2craft said...

Hi
I Just love thie tutorial must make one of these for my grandchildren. Thank you for sharing......Wendy