Sunday, March 8, 2009

Homemade- Breadsticks (quick, easy, and delicious)


A few people have asked me for my breadstick recipe. So here it is ;) It is actually from an old co-worker, named Davis, that worked with my husband. These are super fast and easy to make, not to mention delicious- and they freeze well too!
Speedy Davis Breadsticks
1 1/2 cups hot water
2 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
melted butter or margarine (optional)
Mix sugar and hot water and let cool. Then add 1 tbsp yeast and 1/2 tsp. salt, and 3 cups flour. When adding flour, beat in the first cup, then add the rest. Mix and knead for 3 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes. Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a rectangle. Cut into 1/2 inch strips. Add melted butter, brushed on each piece if desired. Then fold strips in half and twist. Brush with remaining melted butter and place on a cookie sheet. For variety, sprinkle with garlic, Parmesan cheese, or any other favorite topping. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Makes 10 bread sticks. (they are pretty big-you can make them smaller if you like and have more than 10 :)) Doubles well and freezes well too. You can make these while soup or pizza cooks! Delish!
NOTE: we have tried these with whole wheat flour several times, and they do not turn out as well. Best to use white flour, all purpose type.

6 comments:

Deb said...

YUM! I think we'll be trying these at lunchtime today!

I love the photos from your photoshoot the other day! They are lovely!

Kim Walus said...

Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll make them for dinner today. I love trying new recipes so this will be great.

Even though I don't leave a comment on every post I wanted you to know I love your blog and enjoy your posts.

Hugs, Kim

Erica said...

They look delish!!! I just might have to give them a try tonight :)

Michelle... said...

Yummy! Have you tried 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white flour?

mylittlegems said...

Michelle, we have tried 1/2 and 1/2and I think it still is a little heavy on the wheat- for rising. Try a 1/3 wheat and the rest white. Maybe if you use Better for Bread flour it would probably work ;)

Kirsten said...

Mmmm... these look so good.
And I LOVE quick and easy recipes!