Sunday, July 12, 2009

Banana Bavarian Ice Cream

My DH (have I mentioned I have the best husband?) made this delicious ice cream for me for the 4th of July. It is a recipe my parents made several times growing up, and it is really refreshing and delicious on a hot summer's day. We love to break out that ice cream maker-(great wedding gift we use once or twice a year-we love it-it is so worth storing the thing...) and make some yummy homemade ice cream love :)
note: Now that we finished this stuff off, and the other cartons from the store, I am going on an ice cream diet- as in- no more ice cream for me..... Seriously folks, I eat ice cream like 5 times a day- - and I am never gonna lose any baby weight if I don't stop this nonsense! But I have a few more ice cream related posts to make and do first.... maybe I'll just start telling myself 'i don't like ice cream'....yeah right....who am I kidding.... I love the stuff and that is never gonna change ☻and anyway, the cartons are much smaller now....if that helps...it doesn't - I just finish the carton sooner and need a new one...
Banana Bavarian Ice Cream
4 cups sugar
4 cups milk
4 cups cream (part evaporated milk, if desired)
2 cups orange juice (4 oranges)
1 cup lemon juice (4 lemons)
4 bananas, mashed
1 can (15 ½ oz.) crushed pineapple, undrained

Combine chilled ingredients in 6-quart ice cream freezer, filling no more than ¾ full. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions, using 8 parts ice to 1 part salt. Pack and ripen.
NOTE: For 4-quart freezer/ice cream maker use following ingredients and proceed as above. Makes 14 servings. We made this size below- and it makes like a ton- like a gallon- a lot- and our changes are written to the side. We like it much better this way.
3 cups sugar
3 cups milk (WE did 2 cups of fat free milk, and one cup half and half)
3 cups heavy cream (WE did one cup half and half and 2 cups cream)
1 ½ cups orange juice (3 oranges) (JUICE your oranges first, Valencia oranges are really good)
¾ cup fresh lemon juice (JUICE your lemons first also, before making the rest of the ice cream)
3 bananas mashed
1 can (8 1/2 oz.) crushed pineapple, undrained

NOTE: For other variations omit banana and pineapple; add 3 cups mashed strawberries, raspberries, apricot puree or fresh peaches.

No comments: