Sunday, March 22, 2009

Rainbow Jello- 2 ways (Sweets on Sunday)

I am not a big jello maker, but this jello is really fun, especially for St. Patrick's Day. There are two ways to make it that I have discovered. Sorry, I meant to post this a few weeks ago. It is a fun way to make jello! Kids love it (and so do my husband's co-workers:)) and it is great to bring to parties. ☺ Although it appears to take a long time to make it is super easy, and the results are worth it!



RAINBOW JELLO (one way):

5 small boxes of Jello- all different colors
Hot water
Sour Cream
KNOX Gelatin
(can be found by the Jello at the Grocery Store-one box has 4 packets. You need one packet per color of jello.)
8 by 8 glass pan

Heat 1 1/4 cups water in the microwave until boiling. Slowly stir in one packet of KNOX gelatin. Then stir in one box of jello. Make sure both are dissolved. I used a glass measuring cup with the measurements marked on the side, for easy measuring and pouring. Pour 3/4 cup of this into the glass pan. Put in the refridgerator for 15-20 minutes, allowing to set. With the 1/2 cup of jello that is left over, add 3 TBSP. sour cream and mix well. When the first layer is done setting, pull it out of the refridgerator, and add this mixture on top. You will have a dark layer of jello with a lighter layer on top. Put it back in the refridgerator for 15-20 minutes. While this is setting, repeat the above process with the next color of jello. For best results, make sure each layer is set before pouring on the next color. Also allow the next color to cool off some before pouring it onto the other layers. If it is too hot, it can make a mess of the layers that have already set. (compare the top photo w/ the bottom photo- you can see the layers better on the bottom photo because we allowed the jello to set, and the next layer to cool before adding it on.)Layer the colors one at a time allowing each layer to set. When all layers are set, cut into squares and enjoy!

Rainbow Jello (second way):

**FOLLOW THE ABOVE RECIPE EXCEPT INSTEAD OF SOUR CREAM USE 1 CAN OF SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK.
Add 3 TBSP. in the place of sour cream- just as you would do in the recipe above.

You can also top your jello with Cool Whip.

We made this both ways, and found although they taste a little different, they were both delicious. We also made one recipe with Sugar-Free jello, and the other with sugar jello. I would not recommend giving small children large amounts of sugar free jello. The artificial sweetners are not good for some little ones bowels (age 1-2).









2 comments:

Jodi said...

I had a roommate in college who made this fun jello rainbow. Thanks for the recipe, I'm printing it and adding it to my stash of St. Paddy's day fun(for next year).

Niki said...

My sister-in-law is the rainbow jello maker in our family. I had never had it before I got married, and at first I wasn't sure I'd like it...well, I DO!!! Great stuff, great recipe, thanks!