Monday, May 17, 2010

Tote-Bag Sew-a-long {Tutorial} Supply List

Are you ready to get started ? OK, maybe not...since I gave you no warning that I was going to do this. :) That is how I do things sometimes... But no worries, you can jump in and do it later. The steps will be posted so you can make your simple tote-bag at anytime. :)

So my camera battery is dead and I can't find the charger, so maybe pics for this post will come later.

Just in case you are really wanting to get started making a tote-bag, here is a supply list. (which will be edited later once I get my camera working :))

Summer Tote-bag Supply List:
The best kind of fabric would be canvas, but I use cotton with a heavy interfacing.
Canvas would make a sturdier bag, but there aren't as many cute choices. :)
You can pre-wash your fabrics if you like.

3 Coordinating Fabrics in the following amounts:
main fabric: 3/4 yard
two other fabrics: 3/8 ths yard of each
You may have some leftover scraps :) I made one bag entirely of scraps, so I may be over calculating the fabric amounts, but it is better to have too much than not enough right?
You can add a fabric flower or something to your bag afterwards w/ your scraps :)
Another fabric -3/4 yard for the lining of the bag (a lighter cotton works best)

Interfacing:
You need enough for all sides of your bag and the bottom of the bag.
You have lots of choices here- as there are all types out there. There is this thick stuff they use for bags- and I have not used it.
I use heavy craft interfacing that irons onto one side of the fabric and is also machine washable. Interfacing is all different widths, but you need it at least 18 inches in width and about 40 inches of the stuff.
I'd just get about a yard and a half of whatever interfacing you choose. :)

Thread

Optional: you can get magnetic closures, different types of things for the handles, but in this tutorial, the handles will be made out of fabric.


Disclaimer: I am not a professional by any means. Sew at your own risk :) Please email me if any of my instructions are not clear, and feedback is appreciated. :) Also if I am a little slow at getting the steps for this posted, it is because I am packing/cleaning/moving.:)

Thanks for reading! Photos coming soon! :) Happy Sewing!


post signature

1 comment:

Heidi @ Happiness is Homemade said...

Yay, I actually DO want to jump in and do this along with you. Your bags are always so cute, hopefully mine will turn out okay too! Thanks for the supply list! :)