Sunday, December 12, 2010

You're a Mean One... Mr. Grinch...





If you have been reading for a while, you know sometimes I detour from crafting to post on motherhood, life, etc....well...this is one of those posts. ☻


It is that time of year. Around Thanksgiving, I encountered a few "Grinches". It got me thinking. What makes a person a "Grinch"? They do exist-- unfortunately. As the song goes, "You're a MEAN ONE, Mr. Grinch..."


And that is just what a Grinch is: A mean person. For some reason, this "mean" side seems to come out more during the holidays. I have enjoyed watching the different versions of the Grinch, the movies, and a few T.V. shows....and found several similiar things about what makes up a Grinch.


So I thought I would share a little bit about what makes a Grinch. ☻ {please know these are my opinions based on my observations)


1. A Grinch Is NOT A HAPPY PERSON. A Grinch wants everyone to be miserable, because they are miserable. So instead of building people up, they enjoy cutting people down- whether it is sarcasm, rude comments, saying mean things, criticism, etc. You get the idea. Remember how the Grinch takes all the presents, decorations, and tries to steal Christmas? He can't bear the fact that someone else might be happy, and have joy in what they are doing/celebrating.  Have you ever heard the parable of the bucket and the dipper? Well A Grinch, gets their joy from dipping into other people's buckets, which is just a way of saying- being mean, rude, and nasty to others.


2. A Grinch is a HURT PERSON. Mean people are usually hurt. Something has happened to them to make them feel like they need to be mean. Sometimes because they have been hurt, hurting others is the only thing they know how to do. They are jealous, envious, bitter, and unforgiving, and so on. They are really good at holding grudges- and they can hold them for a really really long time. 

3. A Grinch will find another Grinch and become BFF's. In other words, mean people feed off of each other. Misery loves company. A Grinch will find another Grinch and bond over being "grinchy".

4. A Grinch CAN change. Just as the Grinch does in the movie and story, they can change. What makes them change?  Being Kind. Being Nice. Being Thoughtful. Not being mean. In the story, the townspeople are still happy it is Christmas. They don't let the Grinch ruin it for them. And his heart is softened.


HERE is a great article on Grinches/Mean People. (from an expert)


This holiday season, if you spot a Grinch in your midst, there is a quote that comes to mind-that has really helped me in my life :)


"This year, mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. Write a letter. Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gentle. Laugh a little more. Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth. Speak your love and the speak it again."



— Howard W. Hunter

That is the perfect quote. For me, that is the way to be happy-- and never be grinchy.
Please know, that I myself have been a grinch at one time or another. I try really hard to be a nice person and understand. I am not an expert, nor have I mastered the art of not being grinchy. ☻ But I certainly try hard to be nice :)
I've got a big huge craft project in the works.... that I'll reveal in the future....thanks for reading!! Happy Holidays!


post signature

1 comment:

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Ha ha... you are describing my in-laws perfectly. :)