Monday, July 14, 2008

Summer Gems #9 Smoothies!

I love smoothies. This one is better than ice cream- or just as good as ice cream- but so much better for you. My husband and I have been making smoothies for a very very long time. Sometimes I use the Weight Watchers smoothie packets that you buy at a W.W. location. But for the past year or so, we have also been using Whey Protein Powder- which gives us more protein and makes a great smoothie. Here is what you need for our Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie- which I'm sure is not an original- just something we love to make.
Soy or skim milk (1cup per serving), Protein Powder (I use one scoop for one smoothie), Peanut Butter- (if you like it really peanut buttery-use 2 TBSP per smoothie), 1 frozen banana, ice cubes. Depending on how much you like banana and peanut butter- you can add more or less for taste. I use about 1/2-3/4 a banana per smoothie. The key to making the consistency really smooth, is to add the powder and milk first and blend for a few minutes, and then add the p.b. and last add the banana. After blending all of that, add the ice. If you do it right, it will be really thick like an ice cream shake.


One serving actually makes more than this glass- size. It is quite a bit. We often split it.
Yummy!

1 comment:

Michelle... said...

I'm not a huge pb/banana fan, but those are good tips to use for other flavors. Thanks!