Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mint Chocolate Cookies {using a cake mix}

This was a recipe I "pinned".  It is from six sisters stuff. I changed it up a bit and am going to give you my changes and the original. These were very rich and really good. And of course, involved a cake mix-which as you know is my favorite short cut when baking.
So I'm just doing my duty, and  bringing you another Sweets on Sunday post. ha ha. These are not anything special or fancy- but you know that moment on Sunday evening, when you want to make a sweet treat, and you don't know what to make? These work well for that. If you are like me, you just have one or two, and then make sure your kids or husband or neighbors eat the rest of them. I did lighten mine up a bit, but still. These little guys are pretty tasty and rich!


Mint Chocolate Cookies {using a cake mix}


1 Devil's Food Cake Mix -or any chocolate cake mix if you don't have that one
1/2 cup oil (NO! I used 1/2 cup- maybe a tbsp less- of unsweetened applesauce)
2 eggs (NO! I used  4 egg whites instead)

Mix cake mix, oil, and eggs together (do not follow the directions on the back of the cake mix- disregard them completely). Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-9 minutes-watching for when they look done. Allow cookies to cool completely.

While the cookies are baking, mix together:
1/2 c. butter, softened (do not try to use the light versions of margarine- they do not mix up the same in frosting)
2 Tablespoons milk
2 c. powdered sugar or a little more
1 1/2 tsp. MINT extract (Mint is NOT the same as Peppermint. Peppermint is the flavor of candy canes, and mint is the flavor from Mint Chocolate Ice Cream. You want the mint. You can find both extracts by the spices and vanilla in the grocery store.)
Green food coloring (optional- I added about 8 drops)
Mix together all the ingredients. Add more sugar if needed. Spread on top of each cooled cookie.
To make the chocolate topping, you melt  2 1/4 cups chocolate chips- I used a double broiler- which is a pan filled with water- and a glass pan sitting on top- slightly inside-water goes in the pan and the chocolate chips go in the glass bowl. As the water heats up, it melts the chocolate chips.
I added sweetened condensed milk- about 2-3 TBSP and about 2 TBSP soy milk, to my chocolate chips to get the chocolate as seen below.
NOTE: I had some left over frosting and chocolate. I used the rest of the chocolate to make chocolate covered strawberries. The frosting- was used on graham crackers for the kids. I think this recipe calls for too much frosting and chocolate- but I always find a use for the leftovers.



Enjoy! And Happy Sunday!

post signature

No comments: