Monday, July 1, 2013

DIY Patriotic Wreath {for about $5}

Happy Fourth of July this week! I wanted something new and fun for my front door. After searching pinterest, I was inspired by this wreath from Tidymom.

 
I did mine a little bit different. I used embroidery hoops from the thrift store- I usually find them for about 30 -90 cents, and I pick them up for projects. This is a lot more affordable than buying a wire wreath form from the craft store, but it does take a little more work. I also used plastic table cloths from the Dollar Store! I only spent $3 on these- and almost have enough to make another wreath.




DIY Patriotic Wreath for about $5:
3 hoops- I used rings from embroidery hoops. It is best to use the inside part, but you can use the outside, just remove the screw, and extra wood piece and tape it together. Don't worry about if they are not the same size- after you tie on the pieces of plastic, you won't even be able to tell!
3-4 plastic tablecloths from the Dollar store- you need the most of red- so you may need two of these. Open the table cloths and keep them folded. I folded them one more time, so I had a long piece about six inches wide. I took my scissors and cut 1 1/2 to 2 inch strips, and then cut the ends apart. It was quick and easy to cut the tablecloths while they were folded up. Simply tie a knot for each piece, and push them close together. I'll be honest, this took me HOURS! It looks so easy and it is, but I think I may have spent up to 10 hours tying knots- which is why I'm only getting around to posting this now....and not sooner.

 Wooden Stars- I had some on hand-but you can pick up a small package of stars from a craft store (Hobby Lobby, Michaels) for a few dollars- or less with a coupon! I painted some and covered some in washi tape- I also had on hand. I attached them to some twine and tied the twine on either end of the wreath.

Wire- I had some wire, and carefully wired the hoops together in four spots around the wreath. This is a very lightweight wreath- so you really could just twist some wire, or twine, at the top and bottom so that all three hoops stay together.
 Hang it up and admire all those stinkin' knots you tied!! Because it does look kind of fancy...and no one will know you only spent $5 on the entire thing! Plus- since it is mostly plastic- it is water proof! We'll see how "heat proof" it is here- in the 100 plus degree desert!

Happy Fourth of July!!



post signature

1 comment:

TidyMom said...

you're turned out GREAT!! I love it!! thanks for the linky love too. Have a happy and safe 4th!